Monday, February 1, 2010

Montreal (Circa August 2009)

Montreal - partying, strip clubs, shopping, and fabulous sushi.




As you keep reading my blog, you'll get to know that I have this crazy love affair with sushi. I would eat sushi every day, twice a day, maybe even three times a day if I could. There are a few sushi rules I do live by, like do not eat raw sushi on Mondays (but more about that later). As I was craving sushi today, I figured I'd re-visit one of my favorite sushi haven, Oishii Sushi in Montreal (Oishii Sushi277 Bernard Ouest Montreal, QC H2V 1T5, Canada http://www.oishii.ca/).


I visit Montreal often as I have family that live there. My cousin introduced me to Oishii almost two years ago. It's located about 10 minutes from downtown Montreal in a not quite so busy street. My cousin raved about this place, so I figured it must be good. Little did I know it would be one of my favorite places to eat sushi (I would make the exception to eat here on Mondays).


The first dish she had me try was black cod. Best way to describe it is: butter. The thing just melted like butter in my mouth! It came with this citrusy soy sauce and green onions on the side. This dish alone made me fall in love with the place.



My cousin and I ate that day like we weren't going to ever eat again. She's probably the only person I eat sushi with that would literally order a boat load of sushi without batting an eyelash. One of our first sushi dates, we ended up with one of those big boat dishes on our table with all eyes on us as the server laid our food on the table. I guess its pretty entertaining to watch two fit Asian girls eat as much sushi as possible. That's the beauty about sushi, you could eat an island full of it, and you would not ever feel disgusting (unless you ate bad sushi, then yeah, you'd feel pretty gross).

So the day we had one of our incredible sushi dates last summer, the dishes kept coming and we kept eating:



Fried sticky rice fried, topped with salmon and tuna sushi?







Fried Avocado Maki with a light soy/sesame sauce



Mystery dish but it's delicious nonetheless





Yin Yang - fried salmon and yellow tail (I think its yellow tail), with asparagus and a miso dipping sauce. Props with the presentation; its a true work of art.





Philadelphia Maki and Yellowtail - simple but nonetheless as special as the rest


Salmon/tuna, egg, crab stick, cucumber maki... whew! What a handful of stuff in a small green roll. And of course, we can't forget the miso sauce



Tuna Avocado Maki topped with a battered deep fried sweet potato piece! Ooh la la


Yup, we ate EVERYTHING!


But just because we ate everything, doesn't mean we didn't have room for dessert. Green tea cheesecake was divine. It has a crunchy sugary crust on top like you would see on a creme brulee. And did I mention the chocolate syrup?



Mmmm, it's 10:30 pm and I gradually worked myself up to an appetite. Oooh, but before I forget, I try not to eat sushi on Mondays as word has it that fresh fish is delivered on Tuesdays, however like I mentioned above, I would eat sushi on any given Monday in Oishii anytime. Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment