Saturday, February 6, 2010

Quincy, Massachusetts - Kam Man International Market

Quincy - beaches, clam shacks, Blue Hills, and a shit load of Asians

Lucy, a British Filipina friend, introduced me to Kam Man International Market. When you walk in there, you feel like you're in China town. It's a massive super market that houses pretty much anything you need. They have a bank in there, a shop with herbs, bubble tea, DVD/CD store, utilities store, and the actual super market. It literally is a Super Market.

I'm a bit hungover today and I figured this place would be perfect to nourish me with all the food they have. I ate so much I actually feel a little sicker. But the food is nonetheless amazing.

Before I go into detail about today, let's re-visit last night and the cause of my hangover. My friend Puerto (that's not really her name, but that's what we call her since she's Dominican) and I decided that we should have a diva night in lieu of the diva playlist she put together (diva playlist consisted of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Beyonce etc). We love themes so we referred to last night as diva night. The order of business was dinner, movie and drinks. So she came over with champagne, Pomegranate pucker, popcorn, chips, and salsa. We watched Hangover and drank the whole champagne proceeded to finish a bottle of Robert Mondavi Chardonnay. Drunk as skunks indeed. We laughed all night because the movie was hilarious and we couldn't stop cackling about this penguin getting assaulted by a seal (I know its supposed to be serious but come on, a confused pre-pubescent seal trying to have sex with a penguin is hilarious): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7379554.stm


Oh, I forgot, we had girl scout cookies as well.



Back to Kam Man, first order of business was the hotdog wrapped in this sweet bun. Amazing indeed. Then I proceeded to eat a sesame ball with this sticky mung paste inside. Then I ordered white rice, sauteed garlic green beans, and fried fish. Everything else was good except for the fish.






Kam Man is a serious super market with:


Desserts and Pastries



Too cute to eat!


Roast Duck



A plethora of cooked dishes





Feet - you can get any type of feet you want like chicken feet or pigs hooves


Seafood



Fresh Produce





Lastly, I bought myself a meat cleaver (a whopping $10 meat cleaver, great price!) today to open the fresh coconuts I bought from Kam Man. I went to youtube.com and found an instructional video of how to open a coconut with a meat cleaver under five seconds. Well, it took me a good five minutes and it was messier than I expected but it was worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment